Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Lost in the Dark

I have an embarrassing confession to make: Up until early this week, I could not find my way home. As independent as one who still lives with their parents can be, I pride myself on my navigational abilities in Calgary, even when they sound something like "take the number three until Safeway, and then walk three blocks east until you see the yellow house with the picket fence." Though some have criticized this method of navigation, (citing the practicality of 'masculine' directions including street names and numbers) I prevail. If I told Irene to turn left at the place where I returned the gross pizza, she would know where I meant! But I digress...

In Buea, street names will not get you very far, as very few streets have them, and even if they did, they would not be overly visible when walking home in the dark - a time when it's often advisable to pay greater attention to where you're placing your feet than your overall destination, in order to avoid falling in a hole. Having slipped into the gutter twice now, I consider myself entitled to give this type of advice. Anyways, the lack of street names and lights aside, I live about 2 km up a rocky, deep-rutted hill, where I've been told taxis dare not go. As such, I've waited at the office every night for my first week and a half for my hosts to drive me home. They are big fans of toiling past 9, and I've paid for my fear of the unknown with many late nights.

Finally, I decided I'd had enough. It was time I grow up and conquer the dark! All I needed was a plan of action. Firstly, I would have to formulate my own set of directions, which I did one night on the aforementioned ride home. Now pay close attention - if you come to visit, this is how you get to my house:

Get the cab to drop you off at the Gendarmerie Brigade Station. Then walk left up the road until you come to your first right turn. Take it, and go down the road until you see the sign on the ground (to the left) for Primary school, and then turn left. Follow the rocky road further up the hill, curving slightly in both directions to avoid veering off onto a smaller road. You will pass an Orange phone stand on your right, and then a house with plantains hanging outside. Keep going until you hit a slight fork in the road, where several tree branches are stacked. Go right. The road will curve down and up, left and right, and you must follow it (past a pink house on your right)until you can no longer go in this direction. Turn left to continue upwards about 3 houses and you're there.

I repeated my 'directions' several times for good measure, and set out alone and determined one night - and I made it. My 'feminine' directions came in handy in a way I hadn't expected, and I will be mocked no more! Those of you who still disagree are welcome to navigate in your own style, but I suggest you bring a flashlight; it's all uphill after the plantains...

6 comments:

Luigi said...

I guess whatever works for you. Being male, I found your directions hard to follow, but I imagine it would be easier if I was actually there and could match the directions to the visuals you described.

Nevertheless, even in the absence of street names, one can rely on handy cardinal directions. Go masculine directions!!!

Seriously, though, I'm proud of your navigational skills.

Unknown said...

Go amber! Haha I have to say.. I'm terrible at following directions (masculine or feminine) So I guess you WIN at life :D

Muriel said...

I don't think masculine directions exist. Stories about males being lost and refusing to stop and ask for directions are something every wife on the planet can relate to. So thumbs up for the only sensible directions!

Luigi said...

Let's clarify. No doubt about it, men do get lost. Probably just as much as women do. These "wive's tales" only exist because most men hate admitting that they are lost, which sadly causes way too much ado about it and, in turn, a belief that men must be lost all the time. Believe me, masculine directions do exist and work just fine (at least for those that like to think in terms of north, south east, west and street names).

To each their own, of course, and here's to Amber, who is navigating through a strange land however she sees fit!

Stinner said...

No matter the directions, I'm sure I should have taken that left at Albuquerque - if I'm tunneling like Bugs, that is.

As for the man/woman difference in directions...it's a myth. Ask anyone, I plan EVERYTHING about a trip to a T. If I get lost, I ask for directions. Are there seriously Alpha-male types left out there who STILL refuse to ask for directions?

Amber said...

Haha. Glad to provoke some discussion on the male vs. female concept of directions. So long as we ask for help once we end up lost, I'm sure things will work out regardless.