Friday, October 5, 2007

Taxis

After a rather restless night listening to the incredibly loud rain outside, it was time for me to depart Douala for Buea, the town where I'll be living for the next 3 months. There was so much going on outside, I felt as though I was gaping like a codfish. The AIESECers accompanied me to the place where I to catch a taxi. Having packed very densely, I was especially grateful for their help with my luggage. After walking down several streets, we arrived at the area where I was to catch my taxi. It's best to select a taxi that is almost full as the taxi will wait for hours in order to fill every seat. However, when I say fill every seat, I mean four people in the back, and three people in the front. I was told that the front was the better place to be, and I hastily climbed in. Here I must point out that the level of comfort is entirely dependant on which side of the front seat you are occupying, and the size of the other person sharing your seat. I was lucky in this instance, as the man who sat next to me was of a relatively slim build. I said my godbyes to the AIESECers outside and we were off. More wild driving ensued, punctuated by the occasional stop to fill the gas tank or buy food from vendors along the road. This was not the most comfortable drive I have ever experienced - granted, it was fairly brief, but the potholes and the seatbelt digging into my hipbones made it less than pleasant. You can imagine my relief when the man sharing my seat disembarqued early and I had the seat to myself. My relief, however, was short-lived. A man of more generous proportions soon showed up at the front window and peered in. I tried to camouflage the dread on my face as I shifted meekly over to sit on the cup-holder. I was not looking forward to the inevitable rearranging of my internal organs that must be required to accomodate this new passenger. Fortunately, the cup-holder proved more comfortable than expected, due to a coat that had been placed on it, possibly for this very type of situation. We arrived shortly in Buea, where I had ample time to stand in the rain, and reflect on the true meaning of carpooling.

3 comments:

Stinner said...

I just love that you compared yourself to a codfish :P haha Which makes me wonder: do codfish gape more than other fish? Say, salmon or tuna? Inquring minds want to know...

Unknown said...

You should write a novel Amber, your metaphors remind me of how I'd write something.

Stinner said...

I was thinking that too, you really do have a good narrative voice in your writing Amber. Does this mean that when you publish something, it'll be about trees then? :P