Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Reflections on Garbage

One thing that's become increasingly difficult to ignore in Cameroon is the trash. Walk down the street and you'll see an incredible assortment of rubbish - the soles of shoes, plastic wrappers, tissues, discarded clothing. The first night I was here, I was scandalised to come across an old brassiere; soiled and splayed across the road in an rather unladylike fashion.

Living with a Cameroonian family, I had noticed the absence of the ever-present can in 'standard' places such as the washroom and the kitchen, and had also witnessed the casual tossing of a tissue into a ravine. As for my own refuse, I've been keeping it in a ziplock bag in the naive hope that a suitable drop off would shortly be found. However, having bit my curious tongue for the past week, I finally decided to just ask about it, and when my boss replied that Cameroon's "waste management facilities" were non-existent, I was horrified, though I can't say I was surprised.

This got me thinking, though. How much garbage do we each accumulate, especially in the western world, only thinking about it as far as the curb? After being here for only a week, I know it won't be long before my little ziplock is truly put to the test, but I can't stand the thought of just throwing it into the woods. Which got me wondering, to some extent, isn't that what we already do? We dispose of our garbage in a 'civilised' fashion, but then it just gets dumped somewhere out of our direct line of vision. "Out of sight, out of mind" we think, having done our civic duty by depositing it efficiently at the end of the drive, to disappear magically once we return. Can you imagine if you put out the trash on Thursday morning, and it just STAYED THERE!?

Seeing my own accumulation of detritus every day has really made me ponder more effective consumption of goods, and methods of disposal, and I'm planning on doing a much better job recycling when I come home to facilities that actually exist. I pity the perplexed men at the depot when I burst into song over the joys of the three Rs. For now, let you all be forewarned, when I return to Calgary, my bags won't be bursting with gifts, but three months' worth of Q-tips and kleenex.

9 comments:

Luigi said...

Recycle, recycle, recycle!!! That's what I always say. (and reduce & reuse, of course!)

BTW... kind of a gross image to leave us with at the end there. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I still want a gift! Just mix it in with the q-tips and kleenex...

Stinner said...

Did you just use 'detritus' in a blog? Nice usage! A little fancy for the interweb, but still nice haha

Amber said...

If you know me at all, you know I don't shy away from gross, I just describe it in great detail while you're eating lunch. :)

Amber said...

Kyle, 'detritus' is what happens when you run out of synonyms for garbage...and Derek, be careful what you wish for. :S

Alan said...

That's one trashy post.

Har har har.

:)

Stinner said...

Don't be bashful Amber, be honest - you brought a thesaurus with you, didn't you? :P

Lizzy said...

She does not need a thesaurus, she is a walking dictionary

eLdon said...

we REALLY do not recycle enough here, and I have nobody else to blame seeing as it starts with me. Oh western convieniences how I love thee ...